TUCSON — Willcox’s Logan Adams was the lone Cowboy at the Division III state golf tournament Tuesday and Wednesday, May 7-8.
Adams just missed out on a top-10 finish, coming in at No. 12 with a two-day score of 158.
Willcox head coach Calvin King said, “Logan played his best round of the year today. He played his worst round of the year yesterday. This is not an easy course. I’m just proud of Logan today because yesterday was such a bummer for him. We had such high expectations. Circumstances worked against him yesterday. Today, he went out there and played and relaxed. He had fun and enjoyed it. He’s got a great memory to walk away from: four years in the state tournament.”
Adams shot a 12-over 84 on the first day, and a 2-over 74 on day two.
Everyone played 36 holes over two days. Scores were compiled individually and as a team. The top 10 individual performances were awarded medals.
1. Valley Christian 48-over
2. Snowflake 76-over
3. Scottsdale Prep 88-over
1. James Mackie (Valley Christian) 1-under
2. David Johnson (Scottsdale Prep) 3-over
3. Alexandria Schmunk (Yuma Catholic) 5-over
4. RJ Wright III (Bisbee) 6-over
4. Simon Trebon (Northland Prep) 6-over
4. Caleb Scarlett (Thatcher) 6-over
7. Jordan Grasis (Yuma Catholic) 7-over
7. Nicklaus Ummel 7-over
9. Matthew Bernthal (Arizona Lutheran) 10-over
9. Rayce Mathews (Payson) 10-over
When asked to reflect on the 2019 season as a whole, King said, “The kids did the best they could. That’s all that matters. They tried to do what I was teaching. It’s hard when you’re asked to change a few things. It takes time to change them. Sometimes you suffer in between before you get where you want to.”